This is my favorite chocolate cake recipe! It takes only 15 minutes to whip up the batter and brew the coffee that goes into it. You can find this recipe on the back of your good ole Hershey’s cocoa carton with a few tweaks you can change-up the flavor for the better. I promise you’ll have a hard time waiting for the cupcake to cool. Three or four always disappear before the frosting is ever on them. But who can resist the warm chocolatey goodness when it keeps calling your name.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling Coffee
- Vanilla Bean Frosting (recipe follows)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F an line your muffin pans.
- 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling coffee this is where you will freak out a little the batter is supposed to be very thin(it’s okay you will be happy with the moist results). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” chocolate frosting. Makes 12 servings.
- ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
- THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
- BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
- CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
- Vanilla Bean Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean past or extract
- Whip the butter, alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency this takes a few minutes on low speed.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla bean paste or vanilla if using.
- Makes about 2 cups frosting.
Now if you want to make the pretty flower with your frosting it simple enough. You will need a decorating bag and a large star tip. Place the tip inside your decorating bag and fill with frosting swirl in a circle onto the cupcake. Enjoy
Friendship is a sheltering tree… Samuel Taylor Coleridge