There’s not many cookies that say Christmas better than ginger snaps. They are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside and full of zippy ginger flavor.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Line several cookie sheets with silpats pads or parchment
Double Ginger Snap Cookies Makes about 40 cookies depending on size Cook 8 to 10 minutes at 350°F
- 1 stick room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger I use ginger people the pieces are a great size and the taste is amazing.
- 1/2 cup or more Turbinado sugar for coating the cookies. You can use regular sugar but the turbinado give a great crunch and taste like molasses.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl cream together butter, molasses and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. In another large bowl, stir together flour, ground ginger, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture, ginger pieces and butter mixture start off mixing slowly so not to make a cloud of flour fly everywhere. When the flour in mixed in turn up the speed to mix well for a minute.
Scoop the dough in to tablespoons full rolling between palms of your hands then roll in turbinado sugar placing about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Smash each cookie with your had to flatten a little then bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from sheet to cooling rack.
Plan kindness and gather love… Proverb