This cake is for a special person my oldest son! He graduated from college on Saturday and asked if I could make a cake for his party. He didn’t want just any cake he wanted berry short-cake so this what I came up with and I’m pleased to say it was a big hit.
With his converse tennis shoes and silly neck tie pose (he said comfort is important) we couldn’t be more proud of the young man he’s become.
I started with a simple chiffon cake and add whipped cream and berries. What a great combo it turned out to be light and airy cake with sweet berries and simple whipped cream. This is diffidently a wonderful pairing of simple taste that make a decadent treat.
You start with this simple cake:
- 2 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 1 1/4 cups castor sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup grape seed or canola oil
- 1/3 cup orange liquor
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Prepare cake pans by lining the bottoms of 2 – 10 inch round cake pans with parchments paper. Spray the top of the wax paper with cooking spray and dust the wax paper bottom of pans with some flour set aside.
- Whisk together 2 cups cake flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together oil, orange liquor and egg yolks in separate bowl.
- Add oil mixture to flour mixture and then beat with mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with stand mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Stir a heaping spoonful of stiff egg white into the egg white mixture. Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites until mixed.
- Divide cake batter equally among prepared pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 25 minuets or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- To prevent cakes from shrinking from the sides of the pans, immediately cool the cakes in their pans upside down on wire racks.
- 4 pints of mixed berries
- Strawberries, Blueberries, Black Berries and Raspberries
- 6 tablespoons of Raspberry or Strawberry jam with 4 Tablespoons orange liquor or water.
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 cups of heavy whipping cream chilled very cold (place in freezer on for 15 minutes).
- Whip it or gelatin sheets or powder 2 packets or sheets.
Place the cream the bowl of a mixer and sprinkle the gelatin over the cream let sit for 1 minute. Mix on high-speed until firm peaks form watch closely this only take a few minutes.
Slice the cooled cakes in half length wise place on parchment until ready to use. Start with one cake a time place the first one on a cake plate and spread about 4 tablespoons of jam glaze on the cake line with berries. on the next cake layer place about half a cup scoop of whipped cream then place on top of the berry layer. Continue with remaining layers finishing top with remaining cream and berries. Dust with powdered sugar.