Yield: about 40 marshmallows depending on size
1 cup water, divided
3 (.25 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup Lyle’s golden syrup or light corn syrup
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract you could also us other flavors mint or maybe cinnamon
½ cup confectioners’ sugar or more if needed
· Line an 11 x 13 inch baking dish with plastic wrap and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Spray another piece of plastic wrap to cover the top, and set aside.
· Place 1/2 cup of water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and sprinkle gelatin on top of water to soak.
· While gelatin is soaking, combine 1/2 cup of water, Lyle’s golden syrup, and sugar in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil the mixture for 1 minute.
· With the whisk attachment on your mixer whisk the water and gelatin for 1 minute it will become white and fluff a little.
· Carefully pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture and beat on low-speed for a few minutes. When the mix starts to come together slowly raise the speed until you are able to mix on high for 8 to 12 minutes until the mixture is fluffy and forms stiff peaks. Add in vanilla extract and beat until mixture forms peeks and you can see the whisk mark as it is being whipped.
· Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared baking dish, a rubber spatula is great to smooth the top. Cover the candy with the piece of prepared plastic wrap, pressing it down lightly to seal the covering to the top of the candy.
· Allow the marshmallow candy to rest for 4 hours or overnight. Pour the confectioner’s sugar in a shallow dish. Using kitchen knife or pizza cutter slice the marshmallow candy into strips, then into 1 inch squares. Dredge the marshmallows powder sugar toss them around to coat all sides and store in an airtight contain.
I covered some of my marshmallows in chocolate and sprinkled crushed candy cane on them. They are addictive!!
2 ½ cups dark chocolate morsels (you want good quality chocolate that is at least 60 percent cocoa it will melt better and taste better)
Medium size glass mixing bowl needs to be microwave safe.
You will need a heat pad or double broiler method for keeping temperature of chocolate steady.
Tempering the chocolate add 2 cups of chocolate to your bowl. Place in microwave on high heat for 1 minute. Stir the chocolate, if it still has solid lumps heat for 15 seconds more stirring after each heating. Until it is smooth and lump free. Be sure not to burn the chocolate by overheating. Now check the temperature of the chocolate with and instant read thermometer. The temp should be about 115 degrees you need to let it cool down. So add the ½ cup of chocolate stir the chocolate. This will cool the chocolate to about 98 degrees. The number you want is between 88 and 90 degrees. This is temperature is what you want to start dipping chocolates. To keep it at this temp while you dip your marshmallows you need a pot of warm water or a heat pad works well on a low setting. Just sit your bowl of chocolate on the heat pad or in a warm water bath. If using the water bath be sure to keep all water out of the chocolate bowl. Dip marshmallows and place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane or crushed candy of your choice. Let cool completely this will take 30 minutes to more than an hour depending on the temperature in your home.