I’m sharing these delightful cookies with you compliments of kellybakes.com. These are delightful, sinful and down right good! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Dulce de Leche Digestive Cookies
This original KAF recipe called for 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, but because I was adding sweet dulce de leche, I cut back the amount of sugar and added more whole wheat flour. If you rock a mean sweet tooth, feel free to refer to the original recipe.
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup cold milk (I used 2%)
- 14 ounces dulce de leche (I made my own using a can of sweetened condensed milk; there are a ton of DIY recipes online or you can buy it. Just make sure it’s a little viscous so it can set on the cookies without dripping off, especially if you’re dipping them in chocolate too!)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Sweetened coconut or chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl (you can use a hand mixer with a medium bowl, stand mixer or your food processor. I used a food processor.), combine the flours, salt and baking powder.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter, your fingers, the paddle of your stand mixer or the pulse feature of your food processor.
- Next, add the confectioner’s sugar and mix to combine.
- Add enough milk to make a stiff dough and then knead on a floured surface (or whiz in a food processor) until smooth.
- Roll out dough on floured surface until dough is between 1/8-1/16″ thick. Using a 2″ round cutter, cut circles and place each round onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and prick each cookie several times with a fork.
- Bake cookies until just slightly golden, roughly 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling tray. Once completely cool, spread a hazelnut-sized amount of dulce de leche on each cookie. Allow to set 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate. Once dulce de leche has set up a bit, spread a small amount of chocolate over the dulce de leche. Place back on the cooling sheet to set up. Sprinkle with nuts or coconut if desired.
- Prepare to eat chocolate covered comfort.