Candied Orange Peel
Makes about 2 to 2½ cups
• 3 navel or Valencia oranges (organic is best)
• 1½ cups granulated sugar
• ¾ cup water
1. Rinse the oranges.
2. Cut the top and bottom off each orange and score the skin into quarters.
3. Remove the skin (peel and pith, the white part), and cut the skin into strips about ¼” wide. Wrap the oranges in plastic wrap to store for other use.
4. Place the strips of peel in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
5. Set on the stove on high heat and bring to a boil. Drain the water from the peels.
6. Pour the sugar and water into the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Let the mixture cook for 8-9 minutes at a constant simmer.
7. Add the peel and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain the simmer. Avoid stirring, as this will cause crystallization. If necessary, swirl the pan to make sure that all of the peels get covered with the syrup. At the end of this period, the peels should be translucent.
8. Drain any remaining syrup from the peels and set aside for other use (for perhaps tea!) There will probably be only a tablespoon or two of syrup left. If you have any left over sugar store it in an air tight container or use (great for coating sugar cookies or perhaps tea!). Spread the peels out on a drying rack and leave to dry for 4-5 hours.
9. Place ½ cup granulated sugar in a medium bowl take a few strips of orange peel at a time and toss them in the sugar then place them back on the rack to dry completely.
10. Store in an airtight container.