These were so easy to make and what a crowd pleaser. With a house full of young men in and out sometimes dinner becomes a challenge to make dinners that not only feed them all but are well received. This recipe I am glad to report did the trick. The filling rice and the delicious meat ball kebabs where a hit. One of our sons friends is a picky eater and even he gave it five stars. Then asked me to send the recipe home so his mom could make them too.
This all started with the Thai chili peppers I grew for the first time I might add. This prompted me to come up with a use for them. Now said chilies are beautiful to look at with such a pleasing color, But I had no idea they where that hot. I have to say it though even with the heat they taste great. I happy to report I threaded the peppers (there’s a lot of them) on a line of thread and have dried them. They work just as good dried as fresh, I have found quite a few recipes for them.
- 2 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup panko or Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup red onion, shredded
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece of ginger graded on a fine grader
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups or 1 can of pineapple chunks
- To make the meatballs, mix together the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, teriyaki sauce, carrot, red onion, garlic, egg, salt, and pepper. Then, take 1-tablespoon scoops and form them into small meatballs. (If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit more breadcrumbs until the meatballs keep their shape.)
- Refrigerate the meatballs for about 20 minutes, or while you’re cutting the veggies and preheating the grill (medium heat) or oven (375 degrees F).
- Thread each skewer with a meatball, pepper, meatball, and alternate leaving enough room on each end of the skewer for picking up with your hands.
- If you want to grill the skewers, spray the grill with nonstick spray or brush with olive oil. Then, gently place the skewers on the grill and grill for about five minutes on each side – make sure to test the meatballs to be sure the center is cooked.
- If you want to bake the skewers, then lightly grease a baking sheet and gently place the skewers on it. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the meatballs are golden brown and cooked all the way through. Turn the skewers halfway through the baking process.
- Great served with Jasmine rice.
Recipe adapted from 12 tomatoes Sweet Chile Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice vinegar 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly finely ground ginger (about a 2 inch piece)
- 2 teaspoons hot Thai chile finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
Pour water and vinegar into a saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in sugar, ginger, garlic,chile peppers, and ketchup simmer for 5 minutes. Stir the cornstarch with 2 Tablespoon of water mix to make a past. Whisk in to water and vinegar mixture remove from heat it ready to serve with kebabs.