These babies are straight from my garden but the ones from the store work too. I roasted some earlier added them to a couple of cans or fire roasted tomatoes and made this awesome soup.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1-29 ounces fire roasted crushed red tomatoes (I used Muir brand)
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp basil
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil
- Turn the top broiler on in your oven.
- Slice the red bell peppers and onion in half. Remove the seeds and stems from the bell peppers. Place this baking sheet on the top rack.
- On another baking sheet place the onion and garlic cloves still in the skin and cover with foil. Place this baking sheet on the middle rack.
- Roast the peppers for 15-20 minutes, or until the top side is charred black.
- Use tongs to transfer the bell pepper to a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 10-15 minutes, you can peel the pepper.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove their skins and transfer to your high-powered blender. You should be able to easily squeeze out the garlic cloves from their skin as well. Add the garlic and onion to the blender.
- Add the can tomatoes, dried basil, salt, pepper and stock to your blender. Blend everything on high until smooth.
- At this stage, the soup will be warm. If you’d like it hotter, pour the soup into a medium saucepan and heat stirring for 4-5 minutes to desired temperature.
- Before serving, top with optional basil for garnish.
This soup is great with some of my garlic cheese bread and you can find it just give it a click to make it as well.