Last summer we met my sister and her family in the Great Smokey Mountains. While there we enjoyed many long walks in the woods, fly fishing, playing in the cold creek water and tubing as well. I thought this photo of one of our walks in the woods would be a good winter break from all the cold. And a reminder that spring is just around the corner. Hope you enjoy the rest of your week.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Nut Granola
AUTHOR: Lury Budde
SERVES: 4 cups
- ½ cup raw pecans
- ½ cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup ground cocoa nibs ground into a powder
- Freeze dried bag dried strawberries (1.2 oz ALDI Simply Nature freeze dried Strawberries)
- 1 cup mini chocolate dark chips
- ¼ cup honey melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt(plus 1 teaspoon for soaking water)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Soak all the nuts in enough water to cover them and mix in 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover, and soak overnight, changing out the water one time. Soak the sunflower seeds in a separate bowl, following the same procedure as above. (separating the seeds and nut lets you grind the seeds for a little less time so not to turn them into seed butter).
- Drain the nuts and seeds and place on a paper towel to absorb the remaining water. Keep half of the sunflower seeds separate.
- Place the nuts and half of the sunflower seeds in the bowl of a blender or food processor. Puls the nuts, you’re looking for the roughly the size of oats.
- If using a blender pour everything including the rest of the seeds and coconut into a large bowl. With a large rubber spatula toss everything to coat well. If using a food processor add the coconut oil, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, sea salt. Pulse until combined.
- Turn the mixture out onto 3 parchment covered baking trays. Spread it evenly into a thin layer.
- Dehydrate on 170 degrees for 4 hours depending on your oven, turning twice. The granola may feel a little sticky and wet when you first remove it but will crisp up after cooling. A dehydrator can also be used to make this granola it will need to dry for 24 hours at 120 degrees.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then let cool completely before storing in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.
Hope you have a chance to enjoy this great treat.
Believe in Miracles